Road Traffic Defence – Fees
What are our fees if you are prosecuted with a summary only road traffic offence?
If you have a hearing at a Magistrates Court in relation to a summary only road traffic offence, our fees depend on the nature of the hearing, the location of the court hearing, and the work required by us to prepare for the hearing.
We offer fixed fees for attendance at single court hearings at our local Magistrates Courts at Medway and Maidstone:
- A plea, case management, or sentence hearing: £500+VAT to £750+VAT
- An exceptional hardship argument hearing: £750+VAT to £900+VAT
- A one day contested hearing, including trials, fact finding (Newton) hearings, or special reasons hearings: £2000+VAT to £3000+VAT
We regularly attend Magistrates Courts throughout Kent, London, and beyond. Please call us to discuss our fees which are based on our pricing (above) subject to an adjustment to reflect increased travel. If suitable, we can instruct counsel to attend court on our behalf because it is more cost effective.
What do our fees cover?
- Attending court to advise and represent you at the fixed hearing
- Reviewing the evidence served by the police or prosecution for that hearing
- Advising you on your plea and the strength of the case against you
- If appropriate, making oral representations to the police or prosecution
- Presenting your case to the court
- In relation to exceptional hardship arguments only, before the court hearing we will advise you on the evidence that you will need to call or present to establish your case
- In relation to contested hearings only, the preparation of your case (including obtaining witness statements, conducting other relevant enquiries, and dealing with prosecution disclosure) up to and including the fixed hearing date.
Are there additional costs?
- Pre court meetings and preparations (if not included in our fixed fees)
- Your case may be adjourned even though we have attended (for example, through lack of court time). There will be additional fees incurred to cover our attendance at the adjourned court hearing.
- If we instruct a barrister to represent you, we can arrange a conference call or meeting. The fees for the meeting are negotiable and we can negotiate a fixed fee in these circumstances.
- Any experts fees or other disbursements which are incurred (we will advise you if appropriate and will not incur fees without your prior approval).
Who we are and how our fees are calculated?
Your case will be handled by one of our experienced Crime Team members. All of our solicitors are senior solicitors with considerable experience. Our Crime Team members each maintain their own case portfolio and you will know who will be dealing with your case from the start.
We believe that we offer attractive fixed fee rates. However, if you would like to instruct us on an hourly rate basis, all of our Team’s fees are £215+VAT per hour.
This guidance applies only to “summary only” road traffic offences. It does not apply to other types of criminal offences and does not apply to more serious road traffic offences. “Summary only” simply means that the case has to be dealt with in the Magistrates Court.
If you are prosecuted with a more serious road traffic offence you may be eligible for legal aid (depending on your financial circumstances). If not, we are happy to discuss our pricing and options.
Please call to discuss your circumstances.
Bassets Solicitors – Road Traffic Defence for Medway, Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham, Rainham, Gravesend, Dartford, Sittingbourne and Maidstone